Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
Replacing full fat dairy with fat free or reduced fat products don't lessen the sweet impact of this cake. I was recently told by someone who was making this that it makes for a very thin cake if you use a 9X13 cake pan, so if you need to double the recipe if you are using a 9X13. There are only 2 of us, so I usually make this in an 8 inch square pan. I changed the pan size to show this. Hope this helps!
- 5 eggs, seperated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup remaining sugar
- 15 tablespoons frozen light whipped dessert topping
- 15 fresh strawberries
- nonstick cooking spray
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat an 8 inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour;set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl,beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup sugar and butter. Stir in milk and vanilla. Sift flour and baking powder;gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well(batter will be thick).
- In a small mixing bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually fold into the batter.
- Spread evenly into prepared dish. Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Place on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan,combine the condensed milk,evaporated milk, half and half, and remaining sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat,stirring constantly;cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat;stir in vanilla. Cool slightly.
- Cut cake into 15 pieces,leaving cake in the baking dish. Poke holes in the cake with a skewer. Slowly pour a third of the milk syrup over the cake, allowing syrup to be absorbed into the cake. Repeat twice. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Top each piece with whipped topping and strawberry.