Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
Replacing full fat dairy with fat free or reduced fat products don't lessen the sweet impact of this cake. I was recently told by someone who was making this that it makes for a very thin cake if you use a 9X13 cake pan, so if you need to double the recipe if you are using a 9X13. There are only 2 of us, so I usually make this in an 8 inch square pan. I changed the pan size to show this. Hope this helps!
- 5 eggs, seperated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup remaining sugar
- 15 tablespoons frozen light whipped dessert topping
- 15 fresh strawberries
- nonstick cooking spray
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat an 8 inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour;set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl,beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup sugar and butter. Stir in milk and vanilla. Sift flour and baking powder;gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well(batter will be thick).
- In a small mixing bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually fold into the batter.
- Spread evenly into prepared dish. Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Place on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan,combine the condensed milk,evaporated milk, half and half, and remaining sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat,stirring constantly;cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat;stir in vanilla. Cool slightly.
- Cut cake into 15 pieces,leaving cake in the baking dish. Poke holes in the cake with a skewer. Slowly pour a third of the milk syrup over the cake, allowing syrup to be absorbed into the cake. Repeat twice. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Top each piece with whipped topping and strawberry.