Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A lower fat, healthier version of a deliciously creamy and saucy spaghetti casserole. This is a cheap, delicious family favorite. I like to split the recipe into two casseroles and freeze one for later!
- 4 ounces spaghetti, regular
- 4 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 8 ounces neufchatel cheese (low-fat cream cheese)
- 8 ounces low-fat sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded (optional) or 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped (optional)
- 1 lb low-fat ground turkey
- 1 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- 30 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄8 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put water on to boil in large pot.
- While water heats, brown turkey and drain (if necessary).
- Cook spaghetti until still somewhat firm and then drain.
- Put spaghetti back into the pot (drained) and mix in the neufchatel until melted, then sour cream, and salt and pepper.
- Turn into (1) 9x13 pan or (2) 8x8 pans.
- If using, layer shredded zucchini or spinach on top of pasta mixture.
- Next, spread browned turkey on top and sprinkle with 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Finally, spread spaghetti sauce on top and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and a few sprinkles of parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until melted and bubbly.
- Freezes excellently!