Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a lower fat version of Pumpkin Bars made for the getting lighter challenge of ZWT3. It turned out really well and I think you will enjoy this.
- 236.59 ml fat free egg substitute
- 395.10 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml applesauce
- 473.18 ml cooked pumpkin (from the can or homemade)
- 473.18 ml flour
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 118.29 ml walnuts, chopped
- 85.04 g package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 473.18 ml confectioners' sugar
- 29.58 ml butter
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 4.92-9.85 ml skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat together the sugar, applesauce, egg substitute and pumpkin.
- Sift dry ingredients into bowl.
- Mix well.
- Pour into a 15x10x1 pan and bake for 23-27 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Mix together icing ingredients using more milk if needed.
- Spread over cooled pumpkin bars.
This is a great recipe even I had not tried this version but I modified this version to even lower the calories and exchanging ingredients for others and used Butternut Squash instead. Great recipe!! It is a great baseline and adding to it or just alone.. but one suggestion..needs vanilla extract to bring out the flavor...My dd did not even know she was eating healthy and she was surprised when I told her!! She even requested again and said it was the best cake/bar I ever made!!
Super yummy and very moist like a good pumpkin bar should be! I also used 1 cup of splenda + 2/3 cup sugar and 1 can of canned pumpkin (not quite 2 cups) and the bars turned out great. The icing didn't work out for me, it went together all right, but was all melty by this morning. Not sure if the bars were too warm (felt cold to the touch), or if I just didn't get the right consistency when making it up. Still tasted great, but the icing kept sliding off. Honestly, these bars are sooo good, they don't even really need the icing!
These are great! Mosit and flavorful. I used 1 cup Splenda and 2/3 cup sugar, and skipped the icing. I added some toasted pumpkin seeds to the batter instead of the walnuts, and sprinkled the walnuts on top before baking, to replace the icing.