Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
The flavor is great, and almost as flaky as the full-fat version. A great substitute when you need to cut the fat in a favorite pie! This makes enough dough for an 8 or 9 inch two-crust pie.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce
- 4 -5 tablespoons cold water or 4 -5 tablespoons apple juice
- Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in the shortening until it is distributed evenly.
- Add the applesauce and mix until blended evenly.
- Stir in the water or juice with a fork until the dough starts to stick together, but is not sticky.
- Work the dough into a ball, then turn onto a floured board and roll out as needed.
- If the dough keeps springing back when rolled, let it rest for 10 minutes, then proceed.
Great piecrust. I used it for two "healthy" apple crumb pies I had devoloped, so there was less than 4 Tablespoons of shortening per pie.