Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I tried this modification of my usual Mac and Cheese while looking for something satisfying that was not so bad for me! I think it turned out pretty well. I hope you will try it and let me know what you think.
- 1 lb pasta, regular (I like shells, but elbow macaroni or other shapes will work) or 1 lb whole wheat pasta (I like shells, but elbow macaroni or other shapes will work)
- 2 tablespoons Smart Balance butter spread
- 3⁄4 cup fat free milk
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fat free ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 slices fat free swiss cheese (singles)
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fat free cheddar cheese, grated
- Boil pasta in water until al dente, drain and set aside.
- Melt spread in a medium saucepan over med high heat.
- Whisk in flour to make a light roux.
- Add in 3/4 cup fat free milk, cream cheese, ricotta cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Whisk together until smooth.
- Add fat free swiss cheese slices, continuing to whisk into a smooth sauce. Pour sauce over drained pasta, mixing well.
- Place all into a baking dish sprayed with non stick spray.
- Top with shredded fat free and regular cheddar, and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake at 350 approximately 40 minutes or until bubbly and browned on top.
Made your recipe as given, & the resulting dish was very tasty & satisfying! Most of it was made to share with a housebound neighbor couple, but I did keep two servings for us here at home, & everyone agrees: Your mac & cheese recipe deserves 8 thumbs up & a 5-star rating! Thanks for sharing it with us! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC recipe tag]