Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a healthier version of bolognese sauce. I wanted to come up lower calorie versions of some of my family's favourites to help my DH with his diet. It can seem a little convoluted but we like the results. As my children love this I also omit the salt and let people season to their own taste when it gets to the table. I also tend to make this a couple of hours in advance and let it rest so the flavours come through a bit more, but it still tastes great without the resting time. It also freezes well and can be made in bulk for OAMC.
- 500 g ground beef
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning or 1 teaspoon beef stock cube
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2-1 cup dried mushroom
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 large carrot
- 2 teaspoons wheat bran (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons tomato puree or 2 -3 tablespoons tomato paste
- dried basil
- dried oregano
- 500 ml hot water
- red wine (to taste)
- Put hot water in pan add steak seasoning, onion salt and mince. Bring to boil and let it cook till mince is cooked through. This removes the fat from the beef.
- Take cooked mince from pan with a slotted spoon and put to one side. Then remove the fat from the top of the "stock" left.
- Take dried mushrooms and rinse them throughly to remove any gritty bits. Then place these into the stock. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer till mushrooms are soft.
- Take approximately half to three quaters of the cooked mushroms, a little hot water if needed and whiz them in a blender / magic bullet till you get a fine mushroom paste. Put to one side.
- Chop onion and crush garlic. Add these to a pan with a tiny amount of olive oil, I use an olive spray and give it a few squirts. Saute the onion and garlic gently until soft.
- Add the precooked mince, mushroom paste and tinned chopped tomatoes and let it heat through.
- As the above is warming, whiz the carrots with a little water till you get a carrot paste, then add this to the mix.
- Add tomato puree, dried basil, dried oregano to taste. Then the natural wheat bran and the mushrooms not blended earlier. Stir, bring to the boil and then let it simmer for 5 minutes
- Add wine to taste simmer for another minute.
- Serve with pasta, Enjoy.
Excellent bolognese sauce! Instead of the bran I put in some chia seeds which work as a thickener and provide fibre and omega 3 fatty acids. Didn't use the wine, though. My mushroom mix was a mix of wild forest mushrooms which was a very nice addition. I will make this again. Thanks for sharing!
Made for Rejoice! It's National Tomato Month / Diabetes Forum.