A tweaked version of Baby Kato's Kato's Easy Banana Cake My thanks to Baby Kato for the basic recipe that survived all my tweaks & still produced an excellent cake! The texture is light & the cake is very moist. I made 1/2 the recipe last night & ate some warm from the oven.It was marvelous but the true test of a low fat cake is will it "still love me tomorrow" ;-) I had some for breakfast & it was still just as good with none of that strange texture that often accompanies low fat baked goods. You would NEVER guess that it's low fat! Note: Baking time for 1/2 recipe (8X8 pan) was 32 minutes.
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup light butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, white
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream (1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce would probably work also)
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute (equivalent of 2 eggs)
- 2 cups bananas, overripe, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter flavor extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9"-X-13" baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stir the lemon juice into the milk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter with the white sugar.
- Stir in the sour cream (or applesauce), Splenda & egg substitute. Add the bananas and vanilla & butter flavoring.
- Sift the flours, salt, baking powder & soda together. Add them to the banana mixture.
- Add the milk to the banana mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan & bake for 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned & firm in the center.