This is an easy and DELICIOUS cinnamon swirl bread. My family loves it...it's hard to keep on the shelf for long! This is lower fat because my recipe substitutes applesauce for most of the oil, but you cannot tell..it makes it better I think. We also don't make the glaze all the time- and love the bread even without it!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and remaining 1 cup of sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, egg, applesauce, and oil. Stir into dry ingredients JUST until combined. (Do not overmix.). (If you do not have buttermilk, buttermilk substitutes work. I use lemon juice and milk method.).
- Grease the bottom only of a 9-in.x 5-in.x 3-in. loaf pan.
- Pour half of the batter into pan; sprinkle with half of the cinnamon-sugar mix.
- Carefully spread with remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- Swirl knife through batter.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If desired, combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over bread.