Recipe by Chef Dudo
The original recipe, which comes from the Spice and Spirit cookbook, uses 1/2 cup margarine. This I substituted with apple sauce.
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9x13 inch cake pan.
- Mix cocoa and instant coffee in a small bowl.
- Add boiling water gradually, stir continuously until blended.
- Set aside to cool.
- Sieve flour with baking powder.
- Cream eggs and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add apple sauce and vanilla and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Add cooled cocoa mixture and stir well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes.