Recipe by SaraFish
You know the John Wayne Chile Relleno casserole? The rich, eggy, cheesy one that everyone always loves? Well - it's yummy but it's fattening! Here's a delicious lower fat variation that yields a similar casserole with no guilt! Utilizes reduced fat cheese, sour cream and egg substitute for pretty darn good results!
Top Review by Amber of AZ
This is a wonderful and easy to prepare recipe. Thank you for posting it. I really enjoyed it. I added some mushrooms and sprinkled some mexican seasoning on the top with the remaining cheese. YUM! I will be looking foreward to leftovers for lunch during the work week. :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded (Sargento's is one brand)
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup fat free egg substitute or 3 beaten eggs
- 6 corn tortillas, torn into 2 inch pieces
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped mild green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup mild chunky salsa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- fat free sour cream or light sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a large deep dish pie pan, or a deep square baking pan with Pam.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup cheese, milk, egg, tortillas, chilies, salsa and salt.
- Mix well and pour into pan.
- Bake at 375 about 30 minutes until set.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese and cilantro over top and bake another couple of minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.