Recipe by JillAZ
A nice creamy lowfat casserole. You can use 1 can reduced fat cream of chicken soup instead of the white sauce if desired.
For White Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons chicken base (I use better than bouillon)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (skim works fine)
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1 1⁄2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced green pepper
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (low fat or fat free)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup frozen carrots
Directions See How It's Made
- To make white sauce:.
- Mix together the chicken base and flour in a large glass measuring cup. Add milk gradually and whisk to blend.
- Place in microwave and heat for 1 minute on high. Remove from oven and whisk.
- Repeat heating and whisking until mixture thickens. Proceed with remaining recipe.
- Cook noodles according to package directions but for only half the time.
- Drain and rinse with cool water.
- Put cottage cheese in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- In a large skillet, place celery, onion and green pepper. Add chicken broth and cook until vegetables are tender.
- In a large bowl, place noodles, cottage cheese, vegetables, white sauce, chicken, parmesan cheese, mushrooms, carrots and seasoning.
- Stir to mix.
- Place mixture in a large zipper freezer bag.
- Seal and freeze.
- To serve:.
- Thaw mixture in fridge.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- dump mixture in pan and bake at 350 degrees, covered with foil, for 45 minutes to an hour or until heated through.
- You can also just make the sauce/chicken/veggie mixture and freeze in a baggie. Cook the noodles fresh on cooking day and mix with the thawed sauce and bake as above.