Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
I created this recipe as I wanted to use up some butterscotch schnapps and thought of butterscotch ice cream! I really enjoy it because the texture is nice and smooth and creamy. The small amount of half and half in this ice cream gives enough fat to help reduce it from freezing solid upon sitting in the freezer. The gelatin also helps with this. If you would like a richer ice cream, use half and half in place of the evaporated milk.
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butterscotch schnapps
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free evaporated milk or 1 1⁄2 cups 2% evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon butterscotch extract (or more to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat half and half on medium heat in a small saucepan. When hot (but not boiling) whisk in sugar and gelatin until dissolved.
- Add butterscotch schnapps , heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour hot half and half mixture into a med/large glass bowl. Cool slightly, then add evaporated milk, skim milk and butterscotch extract.
- Chill in fridge for about 1 hour or in the freezer for about 1/2 hour (stirring occasionally) till mixture is cold.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.