Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the result of me playing with my MIL's baked mac and cheese recipe. IMHO it captures the flavor and texture of the original recipe without leaving a greasy feeling in the mouth. Hope you enjoy it!
- Preheat oven to 350 and coat an 8x8 pan with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to box directions until just done. Drain briefly, then return pasta to the cooking pot (it should still be warm).
- Add Smart Balance, Velveeta, milk, and 1/2 c cheddar cheese and stir until the cheeses melt. You may need to put the pan back on a burner for this.
- Pour pasta mixture into greased pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 c cheese on top and bake another 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and the top is as crunchy as you like it :).
Mmmm, this is everything mac and cheese should be! It's a creamy, cheesy, yummy comfort dish, which fits perfect into this time of the year. The fact that it is lower in fat than other recipes is an added bonus. I really enjoyed the whole wheat pasta in this! :) Being in Germany, I had to use a different light cheese, but it still tasted fab! Just a note: In my family this served only 2 as a substantial main dish. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this super recipe with us, smelly! Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #16 and also for the One Dish Wonders Photo Challenge November 09.
If there is a taste difference, between low-fat Baked mac and cheese, and regular Baked low fat and cheese we couldn't tell.IT WAS GREAT !! We loved the whole wheat pasta. So easy to prepare and make. WE WILL be eating this regularly. Thanks for the post.
This was really good and easy to make. I doubled the recipe and used 2% milk instead of skim as that is what I buy. I followed the rest of the recipe other then I cut the salt in half. I think hubby was a bit upset with me as he made steaks and I ate more of the mac and cheese and left some of my steak. I even ate this for breakfast the next morning. It was just as good cold! Made for Spring PAC 2010.