Recipe by One Happy Woman
I love red cabbage hot, and I like it even better cold. As a low carb lifer, I'm always looking for ways to revise recipes and reduce the refined carbs in foods. Thanks to many of you who have posted recipes, my repertoire has increased. This is a variation of some of the recipes I've seen on this site. And as a part-time nurse and grad student, I need things that can cook while I'm at school or work. This is easy and for flavoring, the pickling spice does the trick.
- 1 head red cabbage
- 2 apples
- 1 large bermuda onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular, sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon pickling spices
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the cabbage in thin strips.
- Slice the onion in this strips.
- Chop the apples.
- Chop the garlic.
- Whirl the pickling spice in the spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
- Put all the ingredients in the crock pot, cover and cook on high for -6 hours, low for 7-8.
- If I'm home, I do give this a stir. Probably has something to do with poor impulse control.