Recipe by One Happy Woman
These are absolutely delicious - they're adapted from a recipe I found on line - If you're short on time or can't find catfish, you can skip the poaching step and mix up the cakes using drained canned chicken - we use Kirland brand from CostCo.
- 2 lbs skinned catfish fillets
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 stalks celery
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups water
Catfish cake mixture
- 1⁄2 red pepper
- 1⁄2 onion
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2⁄3 cup fish-fry mix, Cajun flavor recommended
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the vegetables for the bouillon.
- Add water, wine and vegetables in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a simmer and add the fish, simmering until fish is cooked.
- Drain the fish well and let it cool (retain the boullion - it's a good stock for fish chowders).
- Finely chop the pepper and the onion.
- Add the chopped vegetables, beaten eggs and mayonnaise and seasonings to the fish and chill this mixture.
- Form about 8 cakes from the fish mixture and coat it lightly in your favorite fish coating - we like a Cajun flavored mix.
- Fry in hot oil, serve with favorite sauce.