Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A Lower Carb option for Gumbo Lovers.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 yellow onion, Chopped
- 6 stalks celery, Chopped
- 1 bell pepper, Seeded and Diced
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen cut okra
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with green pepper & onions
- 8 ounces water
- 32 ounces fat-free vegetable broth
- 1 (12 ounce) package andouille sausages, Sliced in 1/4-inch discs
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, Diced
- 1 (8 ounce) packagediced ham
- 2 tablespoons tony chachere's creole seasoning
- Melt butter in Gumbo Pot.
- Incorporate Flour with a whisk and cook over Medium to Medium high heat, whisking constantly, until roux resembles the color of peanut butter (6-8 minutes). Remove pot from heat.
- Add Onions, Celery and Green Pepper and saute over medium low heat until soft.
- Add Diced Chicken, and continue to saute until cubes of meat are cooked through.
- Add Ham and Andouille and saute a few more minutes.
- Add Okra, Tomatoes, Water, Vegetable Broth and Tony Chachere's seasoning and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 1-2 hours until thickened.
- Serve over 1/4 Cup Cooked Rice (or finely chopped cooked Cauliflower if you are a strict low carber).