Recipe by hannahkirk
I get cravings for this sometimes or for something sweet and chocolately like this, but I wanted to try something slightly better for me. You could try cutting out the oil/margarine altogether and maybe even the peanut butter. And you could experiment with other low-calorie cereals. I would guess plain puffed rice might be nice. This is basically the same as the regular recipe, but with slightly less chocolate, oil/margarine, and a powdered sugar alternative.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup peanut butter
- 9 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal (Multi grain or other high-fiber cereal)
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar substitute (Splenda or 1/2 to 3/4 cup stevia might work, too)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large sauce pan, melt chocolate chips with the peanut butter and add the olive oil/margarine.
- Stir until all is evenly distributed and all is completely melted.
- Measure out chex into a large bowl.
- Pour chocolate mixture over chex and fold until all the chex are completely covered in the chocolate mixture.
- Mix the nonfat dry milk, cornstarch, and Splenda in a blender until it looks like powdered sugar. This is the "powdered sugar" in the following steps.
- Put the "powdered sugar" into large paper bag.
- Put chex into the bag with the "sugar" and shake until all chex are covered.
- Add more "sugar" as needed.