Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
modified oatmeal cookie recipe that is high in fiber, low in fat, low in sugar. they are not the most wonderful cookies in the world but if you are really wanting a cookie and you are trying to avoid sugar they do the trick and also are too filling to overdue it. Also, they have some omega 3 from the walnuts and some folic acid from the wheat germ.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup shredded wheat cereal, crushed
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- Mix softened butter and applesauce together with mixer. Add egg, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, brown sugar, and granulated white sugar, mix on low-medium for a couple minutes.
- In separate bowl mix up dry ingredients: rolled oats, flour, wheat germ, and crushed Shredded Wheat Cereal, (set walnuts and raisins to the side).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients using the mixer until they cannot be mixed with mixer and then stir in with spoon.
- Fold in nuts and raisins last.
- Bake at 375°F on an ungreased cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes.
- Makes 24 cookies (medium sized cookies).