Recipe by Still Cookingfor7
I used to make my banana bread with 2 1/2 cups sugar. This recipe has only 1/2 cup sugar. It also uses half whole-wheat flour. It is not as sweet as the banana bread I used to love, and it has a courser texture from the whole-wheat flour. But the family still eats it up like candy. Use white whole wheat flour if you can find it. Also, make sure the bananas are VERY ripe (but not rotten... yuck). Without much sugar, this recipe really relies on very ripe bananas to sweeten it.
Top Review by nmehelich
I followed the recipe, scaled for one loaf. I must have done something wrong, because mine came out much flatter than it does with my usual recipe and was not fully cooked after 70 minutes. :(
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 8 medium-large very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- Sift together 1st 6 ingredients (dry ingredients).
- Beat eggs in large mixing bowl. Gradually add sugars and oil. Add vanilla and dry ingredients. Blend well, then stir in banana and apple sauce.
- Pour into tow greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 F for about 1 hour. (Tops should be cracked and dry inside).
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on rack.