Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very dense, moist cake. Almost like a brownie. Serve with dollop of lowfat vanilla yogurt. Also, very good with Engrossed's Microwave Butterscotch Sauce (Lighter) .
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 1 cup low-sugar apple butter
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray an 8" springform pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat oil and molasses with an electric mixer on high speed for one minute.
- Add egg and vanilla and blend on high speed 30 seconds.
- Add Splenda and beat until smooth.
- Add flour mixture, grated apple, and apple butter. Mix until blended.
- Spread batter evenly in pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Remove springform sides from bottom.
- Serve warm.
What a great cake !! Made recipe as posted except I added my own recipe that I have posted for the apple butter. Other than that I added a tad more nutmeg, but all in all this is one GREAT apple cake. Love the low calories too. Made for PRMR tag.
Lovely cake, love the combination of apples and spices! With apple butter being an expensive import in this country I used sugarless applesauce (at the chef's suggestion). I doubled the cardamom, it's a flavor we love! Thanks for posting the recipe!