Recipe by WI Cheesehead
This came from the AHA's Low-Salt Cookbook. This is the only way we make tacos now.
Top Review by Stardustannie
These made for an easy weeknight dinner. I couldn,t help but add some cumin powder, I also added the onion and pepper whilst browning the meat as the kids aren't too keen on raw. Otherwise served as recommended with added cheese and jalapeno.
- 1 lb lb lean ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 12 low-sodium low-fat flour tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 head lettuce, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat in a large nonstick skillet. Pour off fat.
- Add tomato puree, chili powder, garlic and onion powders, sugar and black pepper. Mix well.
- Cook uncovered over low heat 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Heat tortillas in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat or in a microwave oven.
- Spoon meat mixture onto hot tortillas and top with green pepper, onion, tomatoes and lettuce.
- Fold tortilla over filling and serve.