Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This came from the AHA's Low-Salt Cookbook. This is the only way we make tacos now.
- 1 lb lb lean ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 12 low-sodium low-fat flour tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 head lettuce, shredded
- Brown meat in a large nonstick skillet. Pour off fat.
- Add tomato puree, chili powder, garlic and onion powders, sugar and black pepper. Mix well.
- Cook uncovered over low heat 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Heat tortillas in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat or in a microwave oven.
- Spoon meat mixture onto hot tortillas and top with green pepper, onion, tomatoes and lettuce.
- Fold tortilla over filling and serve.
These made for an easy weeknight dinner. I couldn,t help but add some cumin powder, I also added the onion and pepper whilst browning the meat as the kids aren't too keen on raw. Otherwise served as recommended with added cheese and jalapeno.
Made these with corn tortillas, which were lower-sodium than the flour ones. A great, tasty, filling meal. Thanks for this low-sodium comfort food!