Recipe by Michelle Berteig
I haven't tried this recipe yet but I hope to soon!
Top Review by Cookinzoo
Excellent flavor--I made it up into 12 muffins in paper liners. Texture is a bit rubbery, but my husband was pleased with them. Low sodium breads are HARD to find. When folding in the eggwhites, I suggest doing it 1/3 @ a time--dough is thick and stickey to begin with. Also I used the splenda sweetened maple syrup.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or use paper liners.
- Mix flours and pecans in a large bowl. Put egg yolks, milk, maple syrup and melted butter into a medium size bowl. Put egg whites into another bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar 1 T. at a time, beating well after each addition. Whites should be glossy, very white and form stiff peaks.
- Use the same beaters to beat the milk mixture until well blended. Pour milk mixture over dry ingredients and fold in until dry ingredients are fairly well moistened. Scrape the egg whites over the top and fold in gently, just until blended.
- Fill cups almost to the top with batter. Bake about 20 minutes until lightly browned. Cool in pan about 10 minutes.