Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I took a few recipes, chose what I considered the best features, and modified the contents for reducing sodium and fat.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites, beaten
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon low sodium salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sodium-free baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with vegetable cooking Spray.
- Sift together the flour, salt, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the pumpkin, oil, eggs, and spices.
- Gently combine the dry and wet ingredients.
- If adding nuts, gently add them after the dry and wet are combined.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan.
- Cook for 50-60 minutes, until straw comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, remove from pan and continue cooling on a rack.
Great recipe - BUT - too much sugar content - so I replaced the sugar with Splenda.