Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I use this in place of cans of cream of chicken soup. I make it vegetarian by using a mock-chicken bouillon. The cooking time at the end is important to thicken the soup. If you're just dumping it in with other things, I tend to use only 1 cup of water to eliminate the cooking.
- 2 cups skim milk powder
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules (Use vegetarian mock-chicken bouillon to make this recipe vegetarian.)
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients and store in airtight container.
- To substitute for one can of soup, combine 1/3 cup of the mix and 1-1/4 cups cold water.
- Whisk well, and cook and stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Vegetables sauteed in a little water and then drained are wonderful added to this soup to make "cream of -- ". Substitute tomato juice for the water for a tomato cream.
I think this is a great recipe! I've used it a few times (to replace cream of mushroom or chicken soup in a casserole-type recipe) and I've not noticed any difference in taste. I love it because I know its healthier and better for us! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!
I had stopped buying/eating canned soups just because of the sodium content. This is a wonderful recipe. Thank you for sharing.
I have been using this for about a year or maybe a little longer. You really can't tell a difference. Sometimes I don't like cooking it when I am in a hurry, but it is worth it. It's cheaper and healther than canned cream of .... soup. Thank you for this recipe.