Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The Cabbage Diet Soup is a long time known great soup. However, recently, I have been trying to keep the sodium down in all my cooking to keep the blood pressure in check. When I looked at how much salt was in this recipe the way it was made, I realized that I could cut it down dramatically. But, would it taste as good??? (I think so...)
- Blanch tomatoes by putting them in a pan with about half an inch of water in the bottom.
- Cook over medium heat until skins split.
- Place in a strainer and run under cold water, skin the tomatoes. and set aside.
- Chop all the vegetables into bite sized pieces.
- Sauté the onions, peppers, celery and carrots in your soup pot along with the spices (including the beef bouillon) until slightly soft.
- Add cabbage and continue stirring until the cabbage wilts down.
- Add mushrooms and zucchini, the blanched tomatoes, and the V8.
- Cook on low for about 45 minutes.
- If there is not enough liquid, you can either add more V8 or water if desired.