Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Having to live the "low sodium" lifestyle can be boring and flavorless until you discover zingy items like this barbecue sauce. I found this on a low sodium recipe site and I've made it even lower in sodium by changing a few of the ingredients.
- 1 cup no-salt-added ketchup
- 1 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix together all ingredients in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the mixture is hot, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Refrigerate any sauce not being immediately used.
Fantastic low sodium recipe. I subbed honey for molasses and it was great!
I made this tonight. My DH is on a low sodium diet and has been wanting barbecue pork. He loved this. I followed recipe except left out the liquid smoke.
This is almost exactly the way I make mine but I have never added cinnamon,,I do add a half tsp of red pepper flakes,,,we like our hot...It is a great sauce,,,I think I will try the cinnamon in mine...