Recipe by kelly in TO
A creamy peanut chicken soup, this serves nice with a small crunchy side salad, and is Low GL. 1 cup = 1 serving. This soup will also keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Top Review by Starrynews
Very nice - such an interesting blend of flavors! I used fresh diced tomatoes and cayenne pepper for the heat. The flavors and poaching really made the chicken so tender and delicious. Thank you for posting!
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, timmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup natural-style peanut butter
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (such as tabasco)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a 4-6 quart dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and curry power; cook, stirring until fragrant about 2-3 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, and sweet potato and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, cover and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add the peanut butter and stir until blended into the soup. Stir in the cilantro, lime juice and hot sauce.