Recipe by kelly in TO
When I found this I really questioned whether it was low GI because of the honey used. But, I tried it anyway, I loved that it uses buckwheat, and macadamia oil. Anyhow it was really good, I also added some chopped dried pears as suggested in the recipe and it turned out beautifully. You can serve it plain or toasted with cottage cheese or ricotta and topped with fresh fruit like sliced banana, mango, passionfruit or peach and raspberry. Cooking times may vary, the recipe says 50min, but I needed to cover half way and leave it for 65 minutes.
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled
- 4 egg whites or 2 whole organic eggs
- 1⁄2 cup honey or 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nut oil or 1⁄2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup vanilla protein powder or 1⁄2 cup skim milk powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries
Optional Add Ins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried pears (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried dates (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Smash the banana in a large bowl, then mix in the eggs, honey, oil and cinnamon. Add the protein powder, baking powder and buckwheat flour.
- Fold in the blueberries. Pour into a medium sized baking loaf tin, and bake for 50 minutes, or until cooked through. Cover with foil halfway through cooking if the bread starts to over brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 30 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.