1/2 Photos of Low Gi Berry Stuffed French Toast
kelly in TO's Note:
A Saturday morning breakfast with a cup of green tea, and the sun shinning through the windows! This recipe makes a berry sandwich with the french toast, but I find I don't need that much bread, so I usually top a larger slice of rye bread with the warm berry mixture. Either way, a wonderful breakfast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups mixed field berries
- 3 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1For the berry filling combine the berries, Splenda, and lemon zest; cook in a saucepan over a medium heat until the berries have released some juice.
- 2Blend arrowroot with 1 tbsp juice from the berries; stir into the berry mixture. Increase the heat to a higher temperature and cook, stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3For the french toast, combine the milk, egg, Splenda, vanilla and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- 4Add 1 tsp of oil to a frying pan over a medium high heat.
- 5Soak bread, 1 slice at a time, into egg mixture, let soak for about 10 seconds on both sides, then lift out and fry soaked bread slices, for 3 minutes; turn 1 piece over and evenly spread golden brown side with 2 heaping tbsp of berry filling. Flip second slice, cooked side down, onto filling to create a sandwich; press together with back of spatula. Continue frying for 3 minutes; turn sandwich over and fry for 3 minutes longer or until golden brown on both sides. Repeat with remaining bread slices, brushing griddle with more oil as needed.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Gi Berry Stuffed French Toast
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.2
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 1.6 mg
- Sodium 412.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 15.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: