Recipe by Amy Griffis
One of the toughest concepts of the Sugar Busters and other low GI diets is the limitation to consume fruit all by itself, not mixed with any other ingredients. Here is a mock apple Crisp that is acceptable because it utilizes zucchini, a vegetable that has a low GI value. People never guess that this dish contains zucchini.
Top Review by azpoppy
I made this for dessert last night and it was fabulous. It completely fooled my 11 year old who refuses to eat squash. I did not have any large zucchini so I used two smaller ones and the seeds were small enough that I did not have to remove them.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Peel an drain zucchini.
- Slice it lengthwise into quarters.
- Cut all the seeds out.
- Slice the zucchini into slices that resemble apple slices.
- You should have about 6 cups.
- Boil the zucchini in the boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Mix together the 1 cup of fructose, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 2 tablespoons flour.
- Sprinkle over the zucchini slices and toss to coat evenly.
- Place zucchini slices into a greased 8 or 9 inch square baking pan.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together to make the crumb topping.
- Distribute it evenly it evenly over the zucchini.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until topping is browned and crispy.
- May be served warm, cold or at room temperature.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.