Recipe by noella-bella
This healthy rice dish includes bell peppers, tomatoes, onions and ground ginger for a spicy and satisfying dish without the guilt!
Top Review by Erindipity
Great rice recipe. 3 WW points. I was nervous how my family would feel about the barley, but while my husband noticed there was something odd looking about the rice, neither of us could find a difference in the taste or texture. I did not add hot sauce, but felt the dish really could have used some. This does make a lot. We had half tonight for dinner and plan to have the second half tomorrow. Because I did not add any hot sauce the dish will easily be adapted to a Tex-Mex meal. Great dish, I will be keeping the recipe for future use for sure. Tonight I served it with recipe #280167, recipe #9832, and a green salad.
- 1⁄2 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute the oil, onion, rice, barley, and ginger for 3 minutes.
- Then add the broth, tomatoes, garlic, bell pepper and cover.
- Salt and pepper to taste then simmer for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Then add the beans and hot sauce to taste if desired. Re-cover and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes or until rice and barley are fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and stir in coarsley chopped cilantro. Serve and enjoy.
- *you may add shrimp or another pre-cooked meat if you desire. Add when you put in the beans.
- **Also if you don't want to use barley, you can use the full cup of rice. However, barley signifigantly reduces the G.I. the same way basmati rice does.