Recipe by Barb G.
A very good Low Fat Frittata, you can use or include other veggies or substitute other veggies for the zucchini, A good appetizer or entree. The recipe comes from the American Heart Association,
- 2 -3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced fine
- 1 cup cooked white rice (a good use for leftover rice)
- 1 cup egg substitute or 1 cup egg white
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 -5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt (roughly 1/4 teaspoon)
- ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and slice the zucchini in half, lengthwise, then into 1/8-inch pieces.
- Dice onion and mince garlic (use as much as you like) Saute zucchini, onions and garlic in 2 tablespoons olive oil until onions and zucchini are limp.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix rice, Parmesan, grated mozzarella and eggs in a bowl.
- Stir in saute of zucchini, onion and the rest, salt and pepper to taste, Mix all ingredients well.
- Heat 9-by-12-inch nonstick fry pan between medium and medium-high heat, and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- When pan is hot, pour contents of mixing bowl into fry pan, spread mixture evenly around pan, making sure that the rice and veggies are spread through the liquid.
- When the frittata is brown on the bottom, use a plate to turn it over.
- Cook until both sides are brown and firm.
- Slice and serve, It can be eaten hot or cold as an appetizer, slice into 1- inch cubes or if sliced larger, as an entree.