Recipe by Ceciliasmom
A lower fat Zucchini Bread recipe that is moist and delicious. A sweet dried cherry adds a little zing to help bring the refined sugar down.
Top Review by Ursula_B
Loved it. VERY MOIST, easy to make, and takes spices well. It has a hearty taste, not overly sweet but just perfect as a morning bread with tea, or afternoons with coffee or espresso. Made it as a bread, not muffins. Used 2 tsp vanilla. Left out the cherries. Added spices I like: 2 tsps cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cardamon, 1/8 tsp ginger and 1/8 tsp allspice. Gives a subtle "chai" flavor boost. Also: cooks for about 1hr 20 minutes (check at the 1 hr 15 minute mark), in a gas oven, used a glass loaf pan, greased w/crisco. This is a keeper.
- 2 medium zucchini, about 3/4 pound, grated
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 59.14 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 118.29 ml low-fat milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 177.44 ml dried cherries, unsweetened (can also use dried cranberries)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 4 mini loaf pans measuring 3 by 6 inches by rubbing the bottom and sides of the pans with butter and then sprinkling with flour to coat, tapping out the excess flour.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl add the grated zucchini, sugar, egg , applesauce and oil. Mix well. Add the all-purpose and whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, milk and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
- 3. Add the cherries and stir to thoroughly incorporate. Fill each of the prepared loaf pans about 3/4 full with batter and bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick or a knife inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- 4. Remove pans from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.