Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A lower fat Zucchini Bread recipe that is moist and delicious. A sweet dried cherry adds a little zing to help bring the refined sugar down.
- 2 medium zucchini, about 3/4 pound, grated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup dried cherries, unsweetened (can also use dried cranberries)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 4 mini loaf pans measuring 3 by 6 inches by rubbing the bottom and sides of the pans with butter and then sprinkling with flour to coat, tapping out the excess flour.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl add the grated zucchini, sugar, egg , applesauce and oil. Mix well. Add the all-purpose and whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, milk and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
- 3. Add the cherries and stir to thoroughly incorporate. Fill each of the prepared loaf pans about 3/4 full with batter and bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick or a knife inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- 4. Remove pans from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
Loved it. VERY MOIST, easy to make, and takes spices well. It has a hearty taste, not overly sweet but just perfect as a morning bread with tea, or afternoons with coffee or espresso. Made it as a bread, not muffins. Used 2 tsp vanilla. Left out the cherries. Added spices I like: 2 tsps cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cardamon, 1/8 tsp ginger and 1/8 tsp allspice. Gives a subtle "chai" flavor boost. Also: cooks for about 1hr 20 minutes (check at the 1 hr 15 minute mark), in a gas oven, used a glass loaf pan, greased w/crisco. This is a keeper.
Very moist and good texture. Loved the dried cherries. The only thing I would add is some cinnamon/nutmeg for a bit more flavor. I made mine in a regular loaf pan and baked about 1 hour. just the right amount of sweetness. Made for Spring 2010 PAC.
Mmm, yummy! What a moist and flavourful zucchini bread! I really liked the addition of the dried cherries. I made half the recipe using a tad more zucchini and reducing the sugar a bit. I baked it in muffin tins as I dont have a mini loaf tin and ended up with 10 muffins which took about 35 minutes to bake through. Everyone loved them!
THANK YOU for sharing this keeper with us, Ceciliasmom!
MAde and reviewed for Think Pink Tag Game October 2010.