A lower fat Zucchini Bread recipe that is moist and delicious. A sweet dried cherry adds a little zing to help bring the refined sugar down.
- 2 medium zucchini, about 3/4 pound, grated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup dried cherries, unsweetened (can also use dried cranberries)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 4 mini loaf pans measuring 3 by 6 inches by rubbing the bottom and sides of the pans with butter and then sprinkling with flour to coat, tapping out the excess flour.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl add the grated zucchini, sugar, egg , applesauce and oil. Mix well. Add the all-purpose and whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, milk and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
- 3. Add the cherries and stir to thoroughly incorporate. Fill each of the prepared loaf pans about 3/4 full with batter and bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick or a knife inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- 4. Remove pans from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.