Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Diabetic (high fiber) SUGGESTED DIPPERS: Celery, Jicama, Cabbage, Pita points.
- 1 1⁄2 cups red kidney beans, Cooked
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, Chopped
- 3⁄4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- In a blender or food processor, puree the beans to a coarse paste or mash very well by hand.
- Put into a bowl and add all of the other ingredients, blending well.
- Serve at room temperature.
As recommended by the previous reviewer, I upped the spices a little. Instead of mixing by hand, I added the spices stirred into the yogurt to the bean pulp in the food processor, and pulsed it just enough to mix well without ruining the chunky texture. I served it as a spread on a warmed tortilla with a guacamole layer on top. It was delicious - I think the guacamole balanced the sourness of the yogurt very well. It was a snap to make and a healthy choice as well.
I like this idea, and I love kidney beans, but I think this needs some more zip. I did increase the garlic powder to a half tsp, but I didn't make any other changes since I wanted to see how it would be as is. I'm going to try a few other kidney bean dip recipes before I work on revamping this one.