Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This bread has a nice texture and nutty flavor. This is a terrific snack or side for soup.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- In a large mixing bowl,combine the whole wheat flour,1 cup all purpose flour,yeast,and salt. In a small saucepan,heat the water,milk,butter and honey to 120-130. Add to dry ingredients;beat until smooth. Stir in the wild rice and enough of the remaining all purpose flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface;knead until smooth and elastic,about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with nonstick cooking spray,turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface;divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two 9x5 inch loaf pans coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled,about 30 minutes.
- Bake 375 for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.