Recipe by Chef at Large
Great low fat recipe that the whole family will love. If you prefer higher calory meals simply use regular ingredients. Note for a different taking bechamel you can replace the mushrooms with leaks.
- 8 cannelloni tubes
- 2 tablespoons margarine (30ml)
- 1 large shallot
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 lb lean ground veal (450g)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (60ml)
- 4 tablespoons lowfat parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 cup American cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- wild mushroom, bechamel
- 3 tablespoons flour (45ml)
- 4 tablespoons margarine (60ml)
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk (250ml)
- 1 1⁄2 cups veal stock (375ml)
- 1⁄4 cup wild mushroom (60ml)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the cannellonis according to the usual method and put aside.
- Heat up the shallots and the garlic in margarine.
- Add the lean minced veal and cook until it loses its pink color.
- Salt, pepper and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the ricotta, parmesan and fine herbs.
- Stuff the cannellonis.
- For the Wild Mushroom Bechamel.
- In a pan saute the mushrooms in margarine and put aside.
- Melt margarine in a pot and add the flour until there is a homogenous consistency.
- Add the milk with the aid of a wisk and mix until it thickens.
- Add the veal stock, the mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste. Put aside.
- Put some mushroom bechamel on a 9 x 13 inch (3L) tray.
- Place the stuffed cannellonis on the tray.
- Pour the rest of the sauce on top and add American cheese. Brown the cheese in the oven.
- Serve with your favorite vegetables.