Recipe by Normaone
Use this recipe to help cut the calories in a variety of dishes calling for a white sauce-pastas, rice, mushroom sauce, etc.
Top Review by Noor.Khalid
I was a little intimidated as I have never made a white sauce before, but to my surprise this came out beautifully. I did make some modifications--I used 3 cups of milk with 1 cup of fat-free half-an-half and increased the flour to 8 tbsp. I do agree that this sauce comes out thick so you may want to cut back on the flour if you prefer a thinner sauce. I combined this with 1/2 cup eggbeaters, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp. Mrs. Dash. I omitted the butter as I feel the sauce didn't need it and also omitted the cheese as this sauce was served over seafood enchiladas. I am so glad to have a recipe for white sauce that doesn't involve a ton of fat and calories...I will make this again. Thanks for posting!
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups low-fat milk (1%)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy medium saucepan, whisk flour to remove any lumps.
- Gradually add 1 cup milk whisking until smooth.
- Add remaining 2 cups of milk and nutmeg.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, about 10 minutes, until mixture thickens and boils.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk a little of the mixture into the egg substitute.
- Add egg substitute, Parmesan and butter to the white sauce mixture, whisking constantly.
- Season to taste.
- Can be made ahead, covered and refrigerated.
- Reheat before using.