Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Use this recipe to help cut the calories in a variety of dishes calling for a white sauce-pastas, rice, mushroom sauce, etc.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, whisk flour to remove any lumps.
- Gradually add 1 cup milk whisking until smooth.
- Add remaining 2 cups of milk and nutmeg.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, about 10 minutes, until mixture thickens and boils.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk a little of the mixture into the egg substitute.
- Add egg substitute, Parmesan and butter to the white sauce mixture, whisking constantly.
- Season to taste.
- Can be made ahead, covered and refrigerated.
- Reheat before using.