Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Use with Low-fat macaroni and cheese also posted.
- 1 3⁄4 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons carrots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 whole clove
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- Heat until bubbles form around the edge of the pot. Set aside for 5 minutes. Strain.
- Meanwhile dissolve 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1/4 cup skim milk.
- Return the milk to the pot and bring back to a simmer. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir constantly until the sauce thickens smoothly. Season to taste with cayenne, salt and pepper. Cool.