Recipe by Julesong
I'd seen many white salsa recipes available, but didn't like how high in fat they were. So I created this flavorful version many years ago. I hope you like it! :) Cooking time includes chilling.
- 4 slices sun-dried tomatoes
- hot water
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can pitted black olives, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 (3 ounce) canchopped mild green chilies
- 1 scallion, chopped (green onion)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red sweet bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped yellow sweet bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes or 2 teaspoons freshly minced yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon your favorite hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place sun-dried tomato pieces in the hot water and let them sit until they're reconstituted (about 10-20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in olive oil over medium-low heat, slowly sauté minced shallot and garlic, careful to not let them burn; when they're nice and soft, take them from the heat and set aside to let cool.
- Drain the water from the tomatoes- which should now be reconstituted- and chop them coarsely.
- Combine together the yogurt and and sour cream, stirring well until it's smooth; add lime juice, cilantro, black olives, green chilies, scallions, chopped bell peppers, reconstituted tomato, dried onion flakes, hot pepper sauce, cayenne, salt and pepper to taste, and the cooled sautéed shallot and garlic.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Chill at least 2 hours.
- Serve with your favorite corn chips- it goes well with blue corn tortilla chips!