Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe just won our healthy chili cookoff at my office. It is delicious.
Make and share this Low Fat White Chicken Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs cubed boneless skinless chicken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained
- 32 ounces fat free chicken broth
- 7 ounces diced green chilies
- 4 ounces diced jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free half-and-half
- Saute the 1st 4 ingredients together.
- Add the beans, broth, chiles, jalapenos, and all of the spices, simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Add the sourr cream and whipping cream, stirring frequently until hot.
- Great served over rice, or just by itself.
This is delicious. I know that it is supposed to be white bean but I love kidney beans so added them. I also added stewed tomatoes with jalapenos. Instead of fat free sour cream I used fat free yogurt. I continued to simmer the chili a little after I added the yogurt and half and half which resulted in chunky (not soupy) chili. I am not a cook at all and this recipe made me look good.
I really liked this recipe. I only made half of it and I used a can of tomatoes with jalapenos and used some corn starch at the end to thicken it up. I skipped the half and half altogether and it was great!
It is sooo helpful to read your reviews ahead of making this! To resolve the soupy issue some wrote about, I skipped the fat-free half and half (it is just corn syrup anyway) and added a 3 oz cube of (1/3 Less Fat) NeufchÃ¢tel Cheese (Cream Cheese) it adds about 10 G of fat to the entire pot. I also cut back to about 16 oz of broth and at the end of the process still added just a tiny bit of liquified corn starch. I also added some smoke flavor to the broth step and big chunks of bell peppers when I added the sour cream. Gosh this is good stuff!-- update day two, sour cream flavor got a bit heavy feeling (even though low fat) added a bunch of chopped cilantro and this REALLY made the meal!