Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe just won our healthy chili cookoff at my office. It is delicious.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs cubed boneless skinless chicken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained
- 32 ounces fat free chicken broth
- 7 ounces diced green chilies
- 4 ounces diced jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free half-and-half
- Saute the 1st 4 ingredients together.
- Add the beans, broth, chiles, jalapenos, and all of the spices, simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Add the sourr cream and whipping cream, stirring frequently until hot.
- Great served over rice, or just by itself.
This is delicious. I know that it is supposed to be white bean but I love kidney beans so added them. I also added stewed tomatoes with jalapenos. Instead of fat free sour cream I used fat free yogurt. I continued to simmer the chili a little after I added the yogurt and half and half which resulted in chunky (not soupy) chili. I am not a cook at all and this recipe made me look good.
I really liked this recipe. I only made half of it and I used a can of tomatoes with jalapenos and used some corn starch at the end to thicken it up. I skipped the half and half altogether and it was great!
It is sooo helpful to read your reviews ahead of making this! To resolve the soupy issue some wrote about, I skipped the fat-free half and half (it is just corn syrup anyway) and added a 3 oz cube of (1/3 Less Fat) NeufchÃ¢tel Cheese (Cream Cheese) it adds about 10 G of fat to the entire pot. I also cut back to about 16 oz of broth and at the end of the process still added just a tiny bit of liquified corn starch. I also added some smoke flavor to the broth step and big chunks of bell peppers when I added the sour cream. Gosh this is good stuff!-- update day two, sour cream flavor got a bit heavy feeling (even though low fat) added a bunch of chopped cilantro and this REALLY made the meal!