Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A good casserole for dieters.
Make and share this Low-Fat Vegetable and Pasta Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne or 1 (16 ounce) package rotini pasta
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- white pepper
- 5 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- Cook pasta 6 minutes in boiling water.
- Add the broccoli through bell pepper to the pasta and simmer 6-8 minutes more until pasta is al dente; drain.
- Make white sauce: sauté the onions and garlic in butter 1-2 minutes in a saucepan over medium-high heat; stir in flour and milk and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes until mixture coats the back of a spoon; remove from heat.
- Setting aside 2 Tbs parmesan cheese, stir the rest of cheese and the pepper into the white sauce.
- Combine the pasta and vegetables, white sauce and 4 Tbs of the basil; place in 13 X 9-inch baking pan or 3-1/2 quart casserole.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the remaining 2 Tbs parmesan & remaining 1 T basil; sprinkle over the casserole.
- Spray butter-flavored spray over top to coat.
- Bake at 350° approximately 30 minutes until golden brown.
This had a great texture but, like others, I found it to be bland. I used a 13 oz box of rotini (instead of 16 oz) and upped the broccoli to 4 cups. I also used a whole green pepper (which was about 1 1/3 cups). I'm not sure what you could add to boost the flavor besides salt, but it definitely needed something.
Really really gross...I put black olives, broccoli, onions, 5 large cloves of garlic, 4 tablespoons of dried basil, and mozzarella cheese on top. I had to add a lot of salt and even then it wasn't edible. Did not look anything like photographed sadly. I won't be making this again.
We really liked this casserole, but i did change a few things. I needed to use some leftover chicken so i added 2 cups of chopped chicken after everything else was mixed.I also used a yellow bell pepper because they have a better flavor. Didn't have Parmesan cheese so i used mozzarella instead. Next time i will definitely use Parmesan for a stronger flavor. Also added seasoning salt after it was cooked for some more flavor and salt. Thanks for a great recipe!