Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Really, really delicious pie filled with pineapple cream. Low in sugars and vegan. Cream can be made days ahead and kept in refrigerator.
for the base
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 100 raw sugar
- 80 ml pineapple juice
- 80 ml canola oil
for the cream
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled and chopped
- 250 g soy yogurt, vanilla flavored
- 100 g cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy yogurt, vanilla flavored
- First make the cream. In the food processor or with the immersion mixer bled chopped pineapple, yogurt and cornstarch. I dont add sugar because the pineapple is sweet enough to my taste, but if you like pies to be sweeter, you can add 150 gr superfine white sugar.
- Once it's creamy, transfer into a deep saucepan and heat over medium heat. Cook stirring constantly until it's well thickened, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Turn on the oven to 180°C.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour with the baking powder and sugar. Stir. Make a well in the center and add juice and oil. Quickly knead with your hands to form soft dough.
- Cut 1/3 piece from the dough and set aside.
- Place the bigger part of dough onto a baking paper and roll into 1/2 inch thin crust. Place it into a round baking pan and cover evenly the sides of the pan.
- Pit the bottom of the pie crust with a fork.
- Fill with the thick pineapple cream.
- Roll the remaining 1/3 part of dough into a 1/2 inch thin crust, then place it onto the cream to close the pie.
- Close evenly the edges of the pie crust.
- With a knife cut four long lines on the top of the pie.
- Brush lightly with 1 tbsp of soy yogurt.
- Bake in the preheated oven about 40-45 minutes, or until well browned on top.
- Allow to cool comleteley, then slice in triangles and serve.
- Usually, I make these pies the evening before and serve the next morning for breakfast.