This has been a family favorite for many years. It is an easy alternative to hamburger sloppy joes.
Make and share this Low Fat Turkey Sloppy Joes recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can fat-free chili
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup salt-free tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder (depending on taste)
- In large heavy pan, cook turkey 3 to 5 minutes until no longer pink.
- Add onion and saute 3 to 5 minutes longer until softened.
- Add chili, celery, green pepper, corn, tomato sauce, honey and seasoning to turkey.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serves 4.
I used this recipe at a shelter for homeless women and children. They rated it 5 stars!
Made for Saturday night supper and for 5 a day - fruit and veggie event in the photo forum. We loved it, I didn't have a can of chili to use so I used a can of "chili style" kidney beans, also had no tomato sauce in so I used hot and spicy pizza sauce, they both worked very well. Next time I would add a few red pepper flakes to give a little more kick. We enjoyed them very much thanks for posting.
This was a great recipe. I was just wondering if you typically use chili without beans for this? I didn't think about it and the can I picked up was actually chili beans. Made for a strange site (beans in the sloppy joe ;) but it was very good! I thought the corn was a nice touch. Thanks!