Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very tasty. Points...3.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey or 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed,drained
- 1 cup quick oats or 1 cup old fashioned oats, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine in a large mixing bowl the turkey or beef, the spinach, which has been squeezed to drain, the oats, onion, carrots, egg, milk, herbs (mixture of oregano, basil and thyme), salt and pepper.
- Use a three-tined kitchen granny fork or wooden mixing fork to blend the meat ingredients.
- Pat into a 9x5-inch loaf pan that has been sprayed with a no-stick oil product, or shape into a loaf and place in the middle of a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Bake 1 hour or until a thermometer registers 170 degrees and the center is no longer pink.
- If substituting beef for turkey, bake 50 to 55 minutes and thermometer should register 160 degrees internal temperature (tip not touching baking dish).
- Let loaf stand out of the oven for 5 minutes before slicing.
This was a great recipe, and super healthy. I didn't have any carrots, so I doubled the onion. I also added a bit of tomato paste and parmesan cheese. Served it with asparagus and couscous, DELISH. Even my husband enjoyed it, after adding more salt, of course.
This was good. Dh and I agree, as much as we love spinach, there is just too much in this. I also think it needs more spices b/c it's just a little bland. It's definitly worth playing with a little though, thanks for sharing!
mmm YUM! this is one of the best turkey meatloaves we have had, loved it with the veggies inside. I used fresh spinach and couldn't resist had to paint it with chilli sauce before cooking it. It is a wonderful loaf, very flavourful and i will be making it often, thanks Dancer for posting it. Oct 21/08 we had the frozen half for supper tonight and it was wonderful, just as good as when I made it!