Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a quick, economical dish that is also easy on the waistline. Not only that, it tastes good too! You can prepare it ahead of time and add the crumbs just before popping it in the oven but allow a few minutes longer in the oven to make sure it is piping hot.
- 2 cups egg noodles (use no-yolk noodles if you want)
- 1 tablespoon margarine, divided
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can tuna in water, drained
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 soda crackers, coarsely crumbled
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F degrees.
- Cook noodles, drain and set aside.
- While the noodles are cooking in a skillet melt half the margarine over medium heat sauté the onions and celery until tender about 7 minutes; set aside.
- In a bowl combine; cottage cheese and mayonnaise.
- Stir in noodles and celery, onions, tuna, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Salt and pepper to your taste.
- Put noodle mixture in a 1 1/4-quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with crumbs and dot with remaining margarine.
- Bake until it turns golden brown (about 25 minutes).
- Serve immediately.
Tasty family meal..I have a picky 17 year old son..cleaned his plate...lol =)
We thought this was just okay. Looking back at the recipe though it looks like I used more noodles than called for and forgot to add the salt & pepper. If I try this again, I'll be sure to add those, as well as maybe an extra can of tuna and some hot sauce. It was fun trying. Thanks for posting.
I really liked this dish! It was simple and very tasty. I didn't change a thing at all although next time I may add a couple shakes of hot sauce to spice it up a tad. I used no yolk noodles and regular mayo.