Recipe by Tish
Submitted in response to a request for "real" tuna casserole (no canned soups) that is healthier. I make this "fat" but it works well with the "low fat" ingredients
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained (or 1 lb. fresh skinless, boneless tuna steaks)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (if using fresh tuna)
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice or 1 cup fish stock
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425F.
- Grease shallow 9" casserole.
- (If using fresh tuna, cut tuna steaks into sticks about 1/2" thick and 2" long. Toss with lemon juice and refrigerate.) Start cooking noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 Tbs butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook without stirring, 1-2 minutes, until browned.
- Stir and add 1 Tbs water; cook 1 minute until tender.
- Melt remaining butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in milk and bring to simmer, stirring constantly.
- Stir together cornstarch, clam juice, and wine.
- Pour into sauce, stirring constantly; add salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Simmer 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Combine noodles with sauce, tuna, and mushrooms.
- Add dill and transfer to casserole; top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake 20 minutes until bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- To reheat: If room temperature, bake 20 minutes at 350F;if cold, 30 minutes.