Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A light, summery cake that is full of flavor but is easy on the waistline. This desert pairs wonderfully with sherbet ice cream or sorbet.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ripe banana, mashed with
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 tablespoon orange juice or 1 tablespoon juice, of choice
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup nuts or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips, if desired (puts more fat into recipe)
- 12 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon citrus juice (you can use the same as above or make it different for a twist)
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened coconut, shavings
- Grease a loaf pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg, banana/citrus juice mixture, unsweetened apple sauce and nuts or chocolate chips (if desired) until well mixed, but not completely smooth.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry mixture until batter is smooth and pourable.
- The mixture should never be completely smooth because of the banana chunks and nuts or chocolate chips (if desired).
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- While baking the cake, mix the confectioners sugar and citrus juice in a small sauce pan over med-high heat, until the sugar carmelizes and becomes smooth.
- Once smooth, reduce heat to medium and wait until cake is done.
- Once cake is baked, allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and pour the carmelized sugar/citrus juice frosting over the cake.
- Quickly sprinkle with coconut shavings, as frosting will become hardened once cooled.
- Serve and be happy.