1/1 Photo of Low-fat Tropical Banana Cake
Sam the Engineer's Note:
A light, summery cake that is full of flavor but is easy on the waistline. This desert pairs wonderfully with sherbet ice cream or sorbet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ripe banana, mashed with
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 tablespoon orange juice or 1 tablespoon juice, of choice
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup nuts or 1/2 cup chocolate chips, if desired (puts more fat into recipe)
- 1Grease a loaf pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- 3In a separate bowl, mix the egg, banana/citrus juice mixture, unsweetened apple sauce and nuts or chocolate chips (if desired) until well mixed, but not completely smooth.
- 4Mix the wet ingredients into the dry mixture until batter is smooth and pourable.
- 5The mixture should never be completely smooth because of the banana chunks and nuts or chocolate chips (if desired).
- 6Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- 7While baking the cake, mix the confectioners sugar and citrus juice in a small sauce pan over med-high heat, until the sugar carmelizes and becomes smooth.
- 8Once smooth, reduce heat to medium and wait until cake is done.
- 9Once cake is baked, allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and pour the carmelized sugar/citrus juice frosting over the cake.
- 10Quickly sprinkle with coconut shavings, as frosting will become hardened once cooled.
- 11Serve and be happy.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low-fat Tropical Banana Cake
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 13
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.2
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 16.2 mg
- Sodium 273.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 20.7 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: