Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A tasty, healthy and low fat dish for summer. This is my French husband's recipe, he made it up himself, and he hopes people will try it and like it. It is a fast, cheap, good and good-for-you dinner. We eat it as a main course, but it would be equally good as a side dish with grilled meat or fish.
- Spray a 9 x13 pan with Pam and scatter the bulgur over the bottom, to soak up excess juice.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with zucchini slices, in a single layer, you are making levels, like lasagna, so don't worry about leftovers.
- Cover the zucchini with tomato slices, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, a good sprinkling of chopped parsley, and a bit of cheese.
- Same with the eggplant.
- Start again, making the same layers in the same order until you are out of ingredients, and ending with some cheese and a touch of olive oil.
- Bake in a 375-400 degree preheated oven about 40-45 minutes, it depends on the thickness of the slices of your veggies, so be sure to check.
Mu DH gave this 4 1/2 (he rarely gives 5) and this is quite a compliment considering he "hates" zucchini, or at least he did until I made this. Even the kids ate it. I will make this again, per a very loud request by DH. Very healthy and low in points for the WW diet.
I loved the flavor and the look of this dish! But I definitely learned the hard way to pre cook my rice. My first bite was interrupted by hard little kernels of rice! I'll make it again though! This time with cooked rice on the bottom!
We had this yesterday and it was just great. I added more cheese as well. We had salmon on the side with horseradish.